Japanese Knives Guide logo
Glossary of Terms

What is 'Grantons'?

Typically seen on Santoku knives, the Granton edge is a series of oval dimples along the knife blade. Grantons are also known as dimples, indents, divots, scallops and kullens and alternate down the blade. A Granton edge on a kitchen knife forms a slight air pocket between the blade and the food when cutting.

© 2024 Japanese Knives Guide